Monday, January 28, 2008

Initial poetry reading

First I just wanted to say that after struggling a bit with some of the poetry, reading it aloud helped a lot. This sounds terribly lame, but I wanted to mention it in case anyone was having a hard time also. Yeats early poetry felt really impersonal to me. I wonder if that has to do with the time that he was writing (as in most poetry looked something like this) or his voice just not being developed, or if this will change. Even the love poem, T0 an Isle in the Water, the only one of the few we read in which Yeat's seems to be the narrator or speaker as well as the author, seems a little shallow or underdeveloped. I also wondered what statement, if any he was making about Ireland, since it is already an Isle in the water. Was he an expatiate already saying he would even be willing to go back to Ireland for this woman, or what? I think it's hard to write a love poem and make a statement at the same time, as one will generally overshadow the other. His poetry also includes a lot of references which are not in our common historical or linguistic lexicon. I imagine this was different for the people reading his poetry when it was initially published, but perhaps it wasn't. Is Yeats, like we discussed Joyce was, an author who deliberately put puzzles, ambiguities or little known/personal references into his work that would take some time, effort to understand? Or is this just going to be a constant struggle for us, being contemporary Americans? On a totally tangential and off topic note, I thought The Ballad of Moll Magee was a really good and complete poem. It was the only one that I got any sort of emotional response from (though it was the only one I felt confident in my reading of).

No comments: